28 Feb Cayenne chicken skewers with black bean salsa
This recipe is quick, simple, full of flavour and packed with all the good stuff to refuel after a big day,” says Hayden Quinn, who used chicken thigh pieces in this simple recipe.
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika (pimenton)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1kg chicken thighs, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 limes, halved
- 1 cup (280g) thick Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 tbs Sriracha
BLACK BEAN SALSA
- 400g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 1/2 cups very finely shredded kale
- 1 bunch coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
Combine cayenne, paprika, cumin, garlic and oil in a bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat. Thread chicken onto 8 skewers and chill for at least 1 hour to marinate.
Heat a barbecue or chargrill pan over high heat. Cook the skewers, turning, for 4 minutes, then add limes cut-side down. Cook for a further 4 minutes or until limes are charred and chicken is charred and cooked through. Set aside to rest, loosely covered with foil, for 5 minutes.
For the salsa, combine all ingredients in a bowl, season and drizzle over the juice of 1 charred lime. Serve chicken with salsa, yoghurt swirled with hot sauce and extra charred lime.